Sunday, July 29, 2012

Meet Jill Elizabeth Arent Franclemont, a kindred spirit, author and poet

Sometimes we meet kindred spirits who reach us on an intuitive basis, for many reasons. Jill Elizabeth has been my Guest Poet all of the past week and I know, after reading her work, that we are sisters of the heart. Please, welcome my friend, Jill Elizabeth Arent Franclemont,  and offer her your support.  Blessings to all...Scarlett.

Jill at her desk. Courtesy of Francletography, c 2011

About Me (Jill): The Very Short Version

Mine was an average, small-town childhood.  I read everything in sight, went to school, played with friends.  I imagined a lot of things and places, and decided I wanted to see them all – which meant leaving that average small town as soon as possible.  I went to D.C., studied philosophy, put myself through school.  I worked for five years, realized I wanted more and decided on law.  Enter Chicago.  Despite a hairy beginning (pick-pocketed my first day!), I survived law school and two bar exams, and headed to a law firm in Philadelphia. The billable hour and I did not get along.  Within a year I was job hunting. 
Enter the magical world of pharmaceuticals (employment, not consumption).  It seemed like a dream – prestigious title, high pay, regular hours, travel, Corporate perks.  At first it was.  Then my boss (an amazing woman) retired.  Then her boss (another amazing woman) retired.  Then I learned how much those two women had shaped my experience – and how much I didn’t fit the mold of a Corporate American.  Bored and frustrated, I took a sabbatical and started thinking. 
I couldn’t stay.  I didn’t enjoy anything about it anymore.  The company was being acquired – a golden opportunity, since I wanted out.  Back-of-the-envelope math told me I could decide what I wanted to do next based on what I wanted, not money.  I wanted something utterly unlike the regimented bureaucracy of Big Pharma.  I loved to read, people told me I turned a clever phrase.  Why not write?  A zillion months later, the company was sold and I was free.  And a mess.  I moved back to my hometown for a comfortable environment.  It was a little too comfortable.  But it helped bring back my long-lost sanity and let me be a real daughter, aunt and friend for the first time in twenty years.  It was amazing, but a year passed without a single written word.
Eek.
I couldn’t believe how time flew – or how easily entropy set in.  I was tired of people politely asking how the book was going, and politely responding that it wasn’t.  I was also tired of being unproductive.  I needed a kick in the ass, and got one when I fell in love with an amazing man – an amazing, diligent, focused man.  Score!  Suddenly things looked different – in the best possible way.  When I said I felt like writing, he said that was good because he was setting me up a blog.  When I whined I didn’t feel like writing, he reminded me this was my dream and if I started, I’d be surprised how easily I’d keep going.  He was right.
Here we are a year later.  Amazing Man and I are married.  I have two step-kids, a blog, a collection of stories and novel in the works, and more ideas than ever.  Things are clicking along – some days more slowly than I’d like, but still: progress.  I don’t know where exactly this will all go, but it sure is one hell of a ride…

Please, comment on Jill's post below. Every comment is read and appreciated. Don't forget to subscribe either by RSS feed or by email . Hope to see you again soon!

19 comments:

  1. wow, this is an extension of a conversation I've been having with myself these last few days ... someone I connected with from my past is in an amazing place in her life ... me not so much...I need a verbal kick in the butt, though it can be "sorta" hard to get one's foot up high enough...

    perhaps, that's what friends are for... thanks again, Scarlett! great post for a Monday morning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Patricia. I think Jill's message is very positive and powerful. I'm glad to share it.

      Delete
  2. Oh Patricia - if you're thinking about it, you're half-way there! Honestly, I have never for one moment looked back or wished I hadn't made the choice to pick up and leave everything I knew behind, because what I knew there was not what I needed to learn - or to live (make any sense??)... Sometimes all we need is a nudge - so consider yourself nudged! :)

    Best of luck with things and thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree with you more, Jill Elizabeth. I experienced many of the same thoughts you shared before deciding to step off the typical career path. We are definitely kindred spirits. I shared my personal journey here: http://aecurzon.wordpress.com/2012/05/27/my-time/
      I'm glad I made my decision.

      Delete
    2. We definitely are!

      It's startling how many of us are out there - stuck in a rut, obsessed with security and success, and only measuring them one (monetary) way... It's unbelievably scary to shrug that off, but also unbelievably liberating.

      Not everyone can do it - walking away from stability and security involves risks and adjustments, and if you have other people who depend on you financially then it may not be a viable choice to do so full-scale. But if you can do it - either full-on or gradually/partially - the rewards are innumerable! As you say in your own story, it's your time and you need to make the most of every minute of it...

      Delete
  3. I Just met Scarlett online and thought I would stop by and say hello. Jill and I have something in common. I was also a philosophy major in college. (Not a quick way to get a job in the real world.) Rumor has it that it's great training for becoming a writer. I wouldn't know yet. I'm still working on the writer part.

    Nice to meet both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary. It's so nice of you to stop by. Ironically, I started out as a philosophy and language arts major, and was making myself crazy by seeing 20 sides to every situation (all in shades of grey) so I switched to a pure science - bio and chem- undergrad. Went on to get my masters in a clinical field. Life's funny. I'm turning full circle and re-reading many of the philosophy books I read years ago. The ability to reason and question seem like great tools for writers.

      Delete
    2. Nice to meet you too Gary. And no - philosophy was not exactly an end-run to lucrative career options, now was it? It was, however, excellent training for law school and for writing as well as interesting AND a way for me to avoid the foreign language requirement for an undergraduate degree at my university (George Washington in DC). I have nothing against languages - they, on the other hand, apparently have many things against me because I have absolutely no ear for them at all...

      Good luck with the writing and thanks for saying hello!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the info on BookBlogs! I have followed you here and on FB. :)
    Please visit my blog, http://bookpurses.blogspot.com!

    ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Kim. I hope you enjoyed Jill's post. I sure did.

      Delete
  5. Hi Scarlett,

    I really liked the post, to find a man that is supportive and helpfull- my dream!

    Please check out my blog, i have just started a 30 facts challenge and i would love to see you facts and learn more about you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,
      Most of us are looking for a supportive mate, aren't we? Thanks for coming by. I'll check out your 'challenge'. :)

      Delete
    2. I'd pretty much all but lost hope when I met him, believe me! It was unbelievably weird - twenty years traveling the world and meeting scores of people, yet no one ever clicked. Then I walk away from all that, move back toward home, and find out that he was fifteen miles away from me my entire childhood... :)

      Delete
  6. Very cool post. Took a lot of courage for her to quit her lucrative job to pursue her dream, and I admire her so much for it!

    Jonathan
    www.ireadabookonce.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jonathan. I agree and I know it must have been a tough decision. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jonathan - it's funny, it was both the toughest and the easiest decision I've ever made, if that makes any sense... It was very nerve-wracking to decide that it was a possibility - that I could set aside safety and security and go skipping off into the unknown. But once I let myself make the decision, I never once looked back and knew it was the perfect and only choice for me at that point. It is a sappy-sounding cliche, but still true: you have to follow your heart (or your gut or your instincts or whatever you call that innate sense of self that knows what's good for you even when your brain tries to tell you otherwise)... :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I thought so, too, Cindy. :) Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Cindy. It certainly was interesting to live - glad to hear it is also so to read! :)

      Delete

Folks who are kind enough to nominate me for blog awards and such, thank you so much, but...please, don't. I barely have time to comb my hair. :)


Blessings,
Scarlett