Thursday, April 19, 2012

By Sara Teasdale 1884–1933


Let it be forgotten, as a flower is forgotten,
Forgotten as a fire that once was singing gold,
Let it be forgotten for ever and ever,
Time is a kind friend, he will make us old.

If anyone asks, say it was forgotten
Long and long ago,
As a flower, as a fire, as a hushed footfall
In a long forgotten snow.

What this poem means to me....

What is past, is past, over and done with. Move on. Forget about it. This is the dogma of coping by sweeping it under the mat of the subconscious, to escape reality. For me, forgetting was a means of surviving severe childhood trauma and the betrayal and loss I’ve experienced since. Though living ‘in the past’ is not a state I advocate, a recollection of it certainly seems warranted…a measure of the days in my life that passed…for something, some reason. As I’ve matured, I’m able to remember bits and pieces. I’m taking them in and healing, with God’s grace.

What does this poem mean to you?

11 comments:

  1. This is indeed a very interesting poem. I love the last line - as a hushed footfall in a long forgotten snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna. Isn't that beautiful? I love this poem. It has always saddened me that she took her own life. What a terrible waste.

      I'm so glad youstopped by. :)

      Delete
  2. Following back via Linky, NB and GFC love your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine. Why are there so many secret super blogs out there. Found a treasure!
    Krista
    Book Review Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista. I know what you mean. I'm just glad we found each other. :)

      Delete
  3. Blog looks great! Following you now! Please check me out at http://catiesmoviesinmyhead.blogspot.com/ if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catie. I'm glad you stopped in or I might have missed finding out about your blog. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard this poem before, it's actually pretty cool!
    Thanks for the warm welcome :)
    I followed you here & on Twitter
    http://aliaaelnashar.blogspot.com

    Twitter: @Aliaa_ElNashar

    It's dawn here, so have a great day!
    (Or a goodnight)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aliaa. I'm glad you enjoyed it. This poem never fails to move me. I'm finding and following all your links now, my friend. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. It is one of my favorites.

      Delete

Folks who are kind enough to nominate me for blog awards and such, thank you so much, but...please, don't. I barely have time to comb my hair. :)


Blessings,
Scarlett